Surya Namaskar which is also known as Sun Salutation is a combination of various yoga postures that consists of 12 steps. Practicing Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation regularly helps to keep your internal system strong and improves immunity.
Sun Salutation is a complete body workout. Yoga experts say that doing 12 sets of Surya Namaskar translates into doing 288 powerful yoga poses in a span of 10 to 15 minutes. Regular practise of surya namaskar bring lot of health benefit to every part of your body from top to toe as these poses regulate the supply of blood flow to every organ in your body and makes it healthy.
Surya namaskar brings radical transformation to your body and mind. An Amazing fact is that 30 minutes of surya namaskar burns as much calories as 30 mimutes of running does . Isn’t a good idea to burn so much calories at your home just by stretching on your mat.
Phenomenal benefits of surya namaskar are :
1) Greatly helps to lose weight: These poses stretches your muscles and helps lose weight in abdomen , hip, thighs and hands leaving you in great shape. Doing sun salutation for 12 times takes somewhere between 10 to 15 mins a day which is great for those who have busy schedules and can’t spare much time for daily exercise.
2)Strengthens Muscles and Joints: surya namaskar postures adds strength to your muscles, joints. It also strengthens the spinal cord by making it flexible.
3) Slows ageing by adding glow to your skin: Surya namaskar improves blood circulation to your entire body including face which makes your skin glow and slows the process of ageing.
4) Ensures Regular menstrual cycles and easy child-birth: Surya namaskar is highly beneficial for women as it regulates irregular menstrual cycle and if practised daily before pregnancy (do not perform surya namaskar during pregnancy) , it helps greatly for easy child-birth as it strengthens the abdomen muscles that helps for natural birth.
5) Detoxify your Body: As it involves inhalation and exhalation , it improves the oxygen supply for blood streams removing carbon dioxide and other toxic gases from your body which in turn detoxify your body
6) Better functioning Digestive System: Sun salutation helps in smooth functioning of digestive system. As these yoga asanas increases blood flow to the digestive tracts resulting in better functioning of intestines.
7) Helps you to improve your sleeping pattern: It helps you to cope with insomnia as the asanas will calm your mind giving you good night’s sleep.
8) Gives you overall mental health: it improves memory and nervous system and helps you get rid of anxiety. It normalizes the activity of endocrine glands especially thyroid gland.
I highly recommend to learn surya namaskar from yoga practitioner as there are chances of doing it wrong and hurting yourself. Practise sun salutation under supervision of your yoga master till you get a hold on it.
Initially you may find it tough to do but believe me it becomes very easy and becomes a part of your routine if you do these 12 postures for 12 times continuously for 7 days.